Friday, June 3, 2011

Are my U-Joints going bad?

I have a %26#039;93 Ford F150, 302, 5 speed. Whenever I give my truck gas, (doesn%26#039;t matter what gear it%26#039;s in) I can hear a clunk, and then a squeeking sound as I speed up. When I let off of the gas, I can hear a clunk clunk clunk clunk sound. It will only do it when it gets a load put on it, as when I accelerate, and deccelerate, (without taking it out of gear). I%26#039;ve never had to change u-joints on anything before so I don%26#039;t know what it sounds like when they go bad. By the way in case you are wondering, I just got done changing the oil in the rear end hoping maybe that was it....|||the important clue is the squeaking noise as you speed up. this is one of the biggest tell tale signs of a u-joint going bad. It is very important to gete them all inspected and replaced very soon. I%26#039;ve seen a lot of trucks on the side of the road with the driveshaft hanging down with a broken u-joint.|||unwanted vibrations and greese slung from the u-joints on the undercarriage are other signs of this.|||Could be a carrier bearing is it has one. Look and see if it has a 2 piece drive shaft and if it does, the rubber grommet in the center may be wore out, that%26#039;s the carrier bearing|||Crawl under your truck with a pry bar and pry at the axis points, if there is any play there bad. Also check you springs, explorers are notorious for the shackles rottin out causing your rear to shift and clunk around.|||yes it is your u joints get them checked out quick before you have to replace somthing else along with it!