Friday, June 3, 2011

Why am I still getting a loud clunking noise in my '76 GMC K15 after I changed the rear ujoints?

Now the clunking is coming from what sounds like the transfer case. I


changed both u joints on the rear drive shaft, it has a automatic trans.


There seems to be play in the front drive shaft also.


Help! I%26#039;m trying to get this thing going before winter!|||the chain in the transfer case may be about worn out on it,that will cause a lot of free play and also cause the clunking sound your getting on it,id check that also,good luck on it.|||Your hog head nut for u-joint may be loose. I found that on my sons 87 suburban. After tightening it up, the clunking went away. I also thought u joints, climbed under it and found after disconnecting drive shaft that it was the nut. I hope this helps. Good luck and God Bless.