Thursday, September 15, 2011

Clunking sound in 95 Jeep Cherokee?

I have a 1995 Jeep Cherokee, 4x4, 4.0L. 138,500 miles.

I have a constant clunking sound... seems like its coming from the front driver side. I thought it were the U-Joints, which both had some play in them. So I changed both U-Joints on the front axle. Cut rotors, new pads, and new dust shields. I start it up after I'm all done and it is making the same clunking noise that it did when I started. I have no idea what this could be
Clunking sound in 95 Jeep Cherokee?
Look at the Bearings on it. There's a bearing assembly that typically runs from $70-$100 at the local auto parts store



its known as the front hub assembly. That usually causes really bad clunking sounds (and can be quite dangerous if not fixed quickly) and is a very common thing to go wrong in a Cherokee.



I've had to replace this on 2 different Cherokees I've owned over the years, and its not a difficult or expensive repair.



If it were a Grand Cherokee, i'd say check the CV joints as well.
Clunking sound in 95 Jeep Cherokee?
You're partly correct... it is the U-joints. But it's your drive shaft(s). Check those and see if they have any play. The miles on the vehicle would lean me towards replacing them.
it could also be a motor mount broke.
It could possibly be the front drive line where it comes out of the T-case. Mine went bad a few months ago. Took quite some time to figure it out. I did the exact same things as you did:new u-joints, new brakes and rotors, all to no avail. It is pretty common for the joints in the front driveline to go out. If you have never had it replaced/rebuilt before, it is a good bet that it needs it now. Mine made a grinding noise, like the rotors were being ground, but they were brand new (cross drilled and slotted), so that wasnt it. I have 150000 on my 96 ZJ and have had the front driveline rebuilt twice now. A lifted jeep wears out some parts faster. Have yours checked out, that may be the problem.