Thursday, September 15, 2011

Ford transmission shuttering/grinding problems at speeds 50-70mph?

1992 Ford F-150 with a straight-six (300 motor) automatic



When driving my truck it shutters/grinds when i get in the range of 50-70mph, i'll let off the gas and stomp back on it and the shutter/grinding will not be there....it seem to be better at higher gears.

If i dont stomp on it and just push back on the gas easily it usually stutters/grind again.



When it starts to stutter/gring it will do it till I let off the gas......the truck drives fine and all except when it stutters/grinds.

I've changed the u-joints and changed the fluid out so i'm not sure other than those two things what it could be.



Any help would be appreciated, please be detalied as you can with your answers. thanks!
Ford transmission shuttering/grinding problems at speeds 50-70mph?
had the same problem in my 2001 expedition, was going to have the trans flushed but they told me to try Lucas Trans Fix first. it actually worked. it only shuttered 2 more days then nothing. try it, it might work for you too. goodluck.
Ford transmission shuttering/grinding problems at speeds 50-70mph?
Service the trans and when you refill it add a pint of Sea-Foam trans treatment. I swear by it. I have a 93 Buick Lesabre and it got to where it would jump out of low gear when I stopped at lights. I added a can of Sea-Foam and within 15 miles it stopped doing it and has never done it since.
sounds like filter clogged when you back off and nail it like that your probably clearing an obstuction ......momentary fix transmission still probably fluid starved causes over heating.



change filter and fluid soon or you'll be changing transmissions
I have a 94 Bronco V8 and I have sort of the same problem. For me though, it feels as if the transmission lets go of the engine, then revs like crazy, and pops back in hard, causing the whole truck to shake, violently sometimes. I also had the tranmission fluid replaced as well as all the seals, and it still does it. What the mechanics told me was that the computer that regulates the fuel and tranmission and such gets %26quot;confused%26quot; at those higher gears, so it doesn't know whether if should shift up or down, causing the engine to rev high and stuttter. (Apparently its a common problem with this truck). I yet have to get that particular problem checked out. Maybe this is what's causing your truck to do the same thing. You could take it to an expert, and see if you need an upgrade.



Hope this helps.