Thursday, September 15, 2011

What the ideal cost if u buy your on parts and take them to a mechanic to put them on ?

i need my ty rods and ball joints changed on the front of my car and was wondering what does it usaully cost
What the ideal cost if u buy your on parts and take them to a mechanic to put them on ?
You'll have to find a mechanic willing to fore go the profit he would have on the parts.

Search for the parts on line.

Ideal cost would be the lowest you can find. I do that all the time.
What the ideal cost if u buy your on parts and take them to a mechanic to put them on ?
To do this I would charge in the area of 400.00 this would include the parts and an alignment.



A lot of shops discourage the owner from buying the part and having it put on due to the fact that brings another player into the %26quot;it failed%26quot; game. If it fails the who is responsible. If you buy it and bring it, I would say I will replace it again but you pay the labor. But if I acquire the part then it is my responsibility to get a warranty on the failed part and have my supplier reimburse me for the second labor charges. I should check the quality of my supplier.
Go to http://www.rockauto.com find your car and look under Steering for tie rod end prices and Suspension for ball joints.



Most professional mechanics no longer give customers who bring their own parts a hard time, because a lot of customers have fun shopping for their own parts like cool exhaust, stiff struts, etc.



I took my own clutch kit to a transmission shop a few months back and they did not complain or give me any untrue warranty threats. They almost seemed to appreciate not having to order and wait for the part themselves. They had the car fixed in an afternoon.



If a professional mechanic complains and you still want him or her to do the repair then offer to pay the usual mark-up they add on for parts.
alot of mechanics are paid as much as 60-70 dollars an hour. and the price goes by how much time their service book or software calls for, not by how much time it actually takes. this is not unfair because you are also paying for the mechanic's experience.
Depends on what kind of car you own. Most garages may or may not install your parts. If they do, then they may not warrantee the work.

The average repairs for work like this may be up to 3 hours and an alignment too. Look at the labor rate the garage has and do the math.



good luck...
You probably wouldn't save that much money. The parts aren't usually what cost so much-you pay out the butt for the labor. My dad has been a certified mechanic through Dodge %26amp; Ford for years and they get paid pretty good. For Example, if they are allowed to have 2 hours to fix the problem on your car and it only takes 20 minutes-they still get paid for the two hours. So I wouldn't even fool with the hassel of buying your own parts.
It would definitely save you money to buy your own parts. I used to work at an Automotive shop. They normally mark up the parts, so you would save yourself that money. The only thing you should by charged for is labor. I'm not sure how much it normally would cost for ty rods and ball joints. I would need to know the make, model, and year of vehicle.
I don't want to cause problems with the others who have offered answers but here are some facts which I encountered at my local Ford dealer. Their dealership was offering a brake job front or rear. I previously had no luck removing the rear drums form my Sable to do my own rear brake job. I asked if it would be OK to bring in my own new American made Wagner drums and wheel cylinders. They said it was fine.



I had watched over the years what kind of parts they used for brake job repairs. Every time I visited the dealership they were using Car Quest brake parts. You can bet your bottom dollar that their work was guaranteed!



Here are my thoughts: This dealer wants to stock as few Ford or Motor-craft parts as possible to save inventory in the shelves. One of the shop guys told me that Genuine Ford Part were outrageously priced. They couldn't compete with the fast service brake places so they were using Car-quest parts, as they were less expensive. I watched them use Chinese rotors one day. Certainly nothing I would use but to save a couctomer a $ they were doing it.



Our Chevrolet dealer has three lines of brake parts GM, AC Delco and an off-shore brand. The GM rotors are twice as expensive as AC Delco. The off - shore stuff costs like so much loose change in your pocket.



The person asking this question has every right in the world to at least ask if it's ok to being in his or her parts. As long as they meet specification they have got to be OK. Who wants to put the lousey non greasable Ford tie rod ends on a Mercury Sable. You tell me why a TRW or Moog part does not their cryteria as a replaceable part. Personally I enjoy hearing from people thinking for themselves. I'm certain they don't mind being corrected but to flat say NO to these people is wrong.
See what they tell you at a diner when you go in with bacon eggs and bread and ask them to fix you breakfast.
remember if you bring your own parts to the mechanic and if they actually install them, your warranty is no longer with the auto shop but where you bought the parts. you dont actually save a whole hell of alot if you do bring your own parts and some shops wont install them.....as for cost, you should of mentioned year make and model of the vehicle
usually buyiong you own isnt a good idea...the mechanic gets a deal so any money saved comes from his/her pocket...they make it up by charging more per hour