Thursday, September 15, 2011

My Saturn SC2 is making a clunk sound when changing gears, what is the problem?

1993 Saturn SC2 all of a sudden started making a clunk sound when it changes gear. It is an automatic transmission and I have not driven it since it started making this sound. It clunked when automatically changing gears from first to second to third. I drove it home that night I changed the gears manually with the shifter driving very slow to avoid excessive shifting. The weird thing is that it had not been having any problems, until I went into the store came out started the car and then clunk from first to second then second to third. Could this be U-joints? Or could it be something else? I checked the transmission fluid when I got home and it was full. I don't want to drive it, for fear of really messing it up. Any suggestions? I don't want to drive it to the mechanics if it is going to make it worse.
My Saturn SC2 is making a clunk sound when changing gears, what is the problem?
First recheck you transmission fluid and see if it is a dark brown or smells like it is burnt. If it is or does then change your transmission fluid. More than likely it sounds more like you need to change your motor mounts. What happens is that when you put torque on it - it rocks the motor throwing the transmission out of line. Generally this will happen both when first putting it in drive or reverse. good luck
My Saturn SC2 is making a clunk sound when changing gears, what is the problem?
transmission?
Ya might need a new transmission.......get rid of the car...add a little saw dust and trade it in..
With the parking brake set and hood open get a friend to hold the brake and put the car in drive. While holding the brake rev the engine and see if the engine moves a lot or makes the noise. then put it in reverse and repeat. If it moves alot then you have broken motor mounts. P.S. don't stand in front of the car when you do this.