Friday, September 23, 2011

Trying to change rear end of an 81 camaro to a 70 camaro?

I have a 1981 camaro and I am trying to put in a 3.73 posi rear end from a 1970 camaro. The u-joint that I got was for an 81 camaro and does not fit the 70 rear end. Someone told me I need a special joint that is different sizes on each side. please help
Trying to change rear end of an 81 camaro to a 70 camaro?
Yes you conversion U joint, also known as a bastard joint.



The 81 uses a 3RN (also called 3R) size u joint with inside clips and the 70 uses a 1310 with outside clips. So you need a joint that has the 3Rn size of one side and 1310 on the other.



The neapco part # for the 70 is 1-0153, the part # for the 81 is 2-3011



The Conversion U joint you need is part # 3-3130 (or 3-3130BF for the much stronger, much better brute force U joint)



The std cheap joint at auto zone and advance is $9, the brute force joint is $18



I had to go through this alot on my build. The parts counter guys was no help so I just downloaded the catalog and figured out what I needed



I have a 1988 camaro with a driveshaft that uses 3RN joints, th-400 trans that uses a 1330 and a ford 9%26quot; rear with a 1330 cleveland pinion yoke.



That was a fun one to come up with 2 conversion joints



The 1330 to 3RN wasnt a prob, but no one makes a 3RN to 1330 cleveland conversion joint so have alot of re search I had to make my own rear conversion joint by buying two joints and swapping 2 of the caps around to get what I needed
Trying to change rear end of an 81 camaro to a 70 camaro?
As stated above, Napa will have what you need. A conversion U-joint is what it's called. Some are hard to find by application, if you have both u-joints take them in with you.
not sure about this. can you replace the knuckle on 373 rear end with the knuckle on the 81 rear So the universal joints will fit.
yes they told you right go to a napa they should have what you need