Monday, September 19, 2011

Please help me understand MRI report!I am freaking out!My f/u apt. is in a month.Serious reply's please. Thx.

It says:Today's images demonstrate chondromalacia related changes and articular cartilage of the medial femoral condyle. Marked narrowing of medial lateral joint compartments. ACL completely torn, partially distended and dissecting bakers cyst posteriorly. Conclusion: previous cartilage injury is seen in the medial femoral condyle, diffuse degenerative chances seen of medial lateral joint compartments, with chondromaliacia related changes. Partial subluxation of the medial meniscus from the joint spaces result. Chronic complete acl tear is seen. Distended and dissecting posterior bakers cyst is noted. Incidentally noted again is extensive red marrow seen within the distal femur,has been previously visualized. Help, my f/u is in a month.I am f/37 with EDS Type1,3previous surgeries on rt knee.

ACL tear, can it be fixed, whats a bakers cyst,is it bad?What is red marrow within the distal femur?Sounds bad.Report is freaking me out. Please be patient,explain simply. No stupid remarks.
Please help me understand MRI report!I am freaking out!My f/u apt. is in a month.Serious reply's please. Thx.
A bakers cyst is a sack of fluid that usually collects when you have torn cartiledge. You have a completely and chronically torn ACL. You've had this previously because they mention the old tear. Sounds to me as if you will need surgery. Usually the bakers cyst will disappear, or they can drain it if need be.
Please help me understand MRI report!I am freaking out!My f/u apt. is in a month.Serious reply's please. Thx.
ACL is a common sports injury - especially in football.

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/aclrepai鈥?/a>

See an actual MRI of a tear.

A baker's cyst is a buildup of fluid causing swelling due to the injury.

http://www.jointhealing.com/pages/knee/b鈥?/a>

I am not a doctor, but red marrow around distal femur appears to be a naturally occuring thing in a certain percentage of people.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query鈥?/a>

It appears to me that you have a serious but fixable injury to a ligament that holds your knee joint in place. You have fluid build up due to that. I am willing to bet that it hurts, you may need pain meds, and fluid drained now or soon. You need to take it easy, and will have to have an operation and rehabilitate, and many professionals play their sport again after ACL injuries.

I hope this helps. Within a year or sooner you will most likely be well if you rehab hard.

Best I can do.