Thursday, September 15, 2011

Should i change the trans fluid in my 97 F150?

The truck has 137,000 miles i just had the differential replaced and new u joints put in. The fluid smells okay and is still pretty redish pink. Should I change the fluid?



I bought the truck used 6 months ago I am not sure if it has ever been changed.
Should i change the trans fluid in my 97 F150?
I wouldn't change it and here's why:



I've noticed over the years as a mechanic that certain model vehicles do not react well to having the tranny fluid changed, many models, including F150 (mid 90's model), tend to leak fluid after having been changed.



As long as the ATF in the tranny looks and smells right there is absolutely NO reason to change it
Should i change the trans fluid in my 97 F150?
yes
I would change the filter and fluid, just for peace of mind.
tranni fluid should be changed every 30,000 miles it is the correct color and if it smells ok i think i would go with the fluid you have now sometimes when you do not know of the repair history on the truck if you change the fluid it might mess up the tranni, if it is shifting ok and looks ok leave it. (don't fix what is not broke) im just sayin...
Well it depends. If you know the tranny fluid has been changed regularly then you should be ok. if not then I wouldn't bother. As the other guy said above different vehicle react differently to tranny fluid changes.



if it smells fine and the levels are ok then just leave it alone. Don't fix what ain't broke.
Yes
  • row cell
  • good myspace
  •